Re: Latest news on Speedrail

David Head (david@nmit.vic.edu.au) wrote:
> David points it out clearly as savinf the roads from further congestion, it
> will assist in the safty (road toll), and will probally affect the trucks as
> parcels and the like will go by train, alot quicker than truck, and cheaper
> than air. I wouldn't be surprosed that they run a frieght only verion of their
> trains.

Not quite freight only. Speedrail has looked at running a version of the
TGV La Poste (the French postal service TGV mail train) for parcels and
what is currently air freight. There isn't a huge market for this between
Sydney and Canberra (mostly courier documents which can be carried on a
passenger TGV), but a market of about 1 million t per year between Sydney
and Melbourne (excluding intermediate traffic).

Cheers
David