Re: (NSW) Rail coverage

One of the worst black spots on the NSW rail network has to be the Illawarra
Line at Sutherland.

I have tested this on 3 GSM phones on two networks. Ericsson GH688 and 1018s
and Nokia 3210, Telstra and Optus.

Cell towers are directly adjacent to the Station, on the western side (3
panels - I assume it's MobileNet and perhaps Vodafone/Optus).

On MobileNet:

The Ericssons both totally lose signal/network and display "112 Only" or
"Emergency calls only" from Platform 3 on the Eastern side all the way down
the line to Caringbah, unless manually rebooted. Manual network selection
has no effect.

The Nokia will on occasion (the last few days) drop network in the same
place, display a bar "searching" and them comes back on line about the first
road bridge over the line on the way to Kirrawee (Dolans Bay).

The Nokia is superior in this case.

On Optus:

Ericssons both display '112 Only' or "Emergency Calls Only" from Kirrawee to
Jannali with no, or low signal. Strangely though, Optus works well at
Sutherland Station Platform 3 where MobileNet loses out. Rebooting the
phones fixes the problem.

Nokia just hangs on to the signal and displays no problem receiving Optus
anywhere from Miranda to Como and beyond.

Ivan.