Re: Tram Accident Monday 11/09

> Personally, of the times I've been to Chappel Street I've caught
public
> transport - then again I don't have a car (: Ever tried to drive down
> Chappel Street on a Saturday night? [I've been in a car then, but
wasn't
> playing loud music]. Of a Saturday night, the worst part of that road
is
> the section between Toorak Road and Commercial Road.
>
> All night public transport on the weekends may help solve
this 'issue'
> too... But we can't expect Jeff Bracks to do that now, can we?

I personally find it quite amusing that in the second largest city in
Australia (Melbourne), the last trains leave around midnight. In
smaller cities like Brisbane and Perth (as well as of course Sydney),
there are extra trains for another hour Friday and Saturday night. The
only late late night transport provided is the 99 tram over summer
(although how likely are we to see that again after privatisation,
although hopefully the privatised tram companies may see some $$$
in 'competing' with the Nightriders, even for a premium fare after the
last normal service), the Nightriders (which are a totally seperate
transport system running on limited routes and charging a premium fare)
and the late night NBC bus to Latrobe Uni (12.30 every night from the
city and 1.20am Friday and Saturday nights although this service no
longer exists according to their timetables) which parallels the
Nightrider service most of the way and only charges a normal fare!

In some ways, Melbourne public transport is a joke, especially given
there used to be all night tram and bus services (before I was born).
Does anyone know where I can get details of these so I can ponder how
popular or otherwise they may be nowadays if we had had serious
governments since they stopped running?

--
Michael Walker
Email: wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au