Re: Stepbacks and Meal Reliefs

<antstig@my-deja.com> wrote in message 8pp7b7$34f$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8pp7b7$34f$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <39bf6d49$0$26552$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
>   "MattyQ" <mattyq1009@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > <antstig@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> 8pmdpj$pdj$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8pmdpj$pdj$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > > Just as a matter of interest on average how much time do you get for
> > > meal reliefs, what we in the UK call "grub".
> >
> > QR varies depending on the type of crew.
> > Non-suburban:-
> > 3 man crew (rare) = 20 mins.
> > 2 man crew = 20 mins.
> > 2 driver crew = 30 mins
> > Driver only = 30 mins (freight)
> > Driver only = 10 mins. (Passenger)
> >
> > Suburban:-
> > 20 min meal, 10 min stress break, 15 min prep. = 45 mins.
>
> Lets make sure I've got this right. Are the times you mentioned above
> for meal reliefs. Ten minutes for driver only seems terribly short.

Ten minute meals breaks are rare. Drivers are normally rostered so they are
relieved before they are due for a meal or get a break in their shift for a
meal.

Example. Tilt train is 2 Driver operated so they can be rostered on for 11
hours. Bundaberg crew signs on around 5am and work Q912 tilt train to
Brisbane arriving at 0915. 30 minute meal on arrival. Train is cleaned and
provisioned then forms Q301 Rockhampton tilt, departing at 1030. Crew works
it back to Bundy arriving around 1430hours.

Where a 10 minte meal comes in is if a train is running very late and for
some reason, an incoming crew has not been deferred. If crew falls due for a
meal whilst still on the passenger service, they get ten minutes but must be
at a particular station where they have access to hot water etc. Like I
said, it is rare it happens.

> > What is a "Step back"?
>
> When you get off one train (not for a meal relief) and then pick up
> another train either in the same or opposite direction.

For suburban stuff, a minimum of 5 minutes usually.