Re: New Zig Zag track construction

Chris <chrisc@fl.net.au> wrote in message 39fe92e9@fl.net.au">news:39fe92e9@fl.net.au...
> I think they are already cleared the area near the colliery road, as I was
> looking for the road which uses the old newnes line trackbed, - where is
> that?, no signs and many dirt trails.

I'm going off memory a bit here, but the old train line is down a forestry
trail, into the Gardens of Stone National Park.  The entry to it is just
east of Clarence station, and I think comes to a T fairly quickly (after
500m or so).  I went off in search of the glow worm tunnel a few years ago,
where the road must be the old line.  Great drive, around one corner,
through a tunnel, then the glow worms not that much further down.  I do
remember it having some sort of signs down there, but they pointed to the
glow worm tunnel.  I managed to get all the way to the end and back twice
without getting lost (it's about 20-odd km from Clarence to the tunnel),
while my aunt managed to miss the turn back to Clarence when the station was
in site.  Mind you, that was 3 1/2 years ago.  Something else to look for is
the logging tracks, they're fairly easy to spot (wide and smooth, the trucks
get barrelling along them), then past a sawmill/logging yard.  The actual
road doesn't run along the line for quite a while, almost at the end.

It was one place where I wished I'd had a GPS, since I've been trying to
find the spot on maps ever since, and haven't been able to see any detail.
The only thing that's marked on maps and in real life is the GoS NP on one
side of the track, and Wollemi on the other.

Good luck,
Al