Re: Hunter Valley Happenings

Tell <telljb@net01.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Not sure about them being a failure.
> They were non-standard amongst a sea of ALCO/GE power.
[snip]

Further to the above, last time I was over Hammersley
Iron to see favourite Pilbara engineman John, the SD's
were still being used, usually one SD and two GE's.
John's only comment about the SD's was, "they were a
bit bloody noisy in the cab with the throttle wide
open".  In later years the SD's were always trailing, I
never had a ride in one, but those Goninan Pilbara cab
GE's were unbelievably quiet.

HI tried early versions of Locotrol many years ago but
because their track curves through very deep cuttings
in many places they suffered interruptions with the
comms between the lead and mid train helpers, so they
went for all locos up front.  For years they claimed
the heaviest trains in the World with all head end
power, still do AFAIK.

----Tell
<< Knock out net01 for email reply. >>