Re: Hunter Valley Happenings

mauried@tpg.com.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:

> Hamersley did for a while have some SD50s but they were a dismal
> failure .
> Whilst the 90s are a good loco ,they simply wouldnt be useful in the
> Pilbara, cant pull enuf , driving controls are on the wrong side ,they
> dont have locotrol ,and I doubt that their radiators are big enuf for
> the climatic conditions.
> And yes, there isnt anywhere else in Australia they can be used on
> Govt lines whilst we are stuck with ridiculously low axle load limits.

Not sure about them being a failure.
They were non-standard amongst a sea of ALCO/GE power.

"Guh-nin-nan" (ALCO/GE agents) were the only builder
with shops in Perth which is a whole lot closer for
road transport, yes folks, the truckies carry these
monsters to and from the Pilbara to Perth.

I agree, our colonial axle loading is a disgrace.

----Tell
<< Knock out net01 for email reply. >>