Re: Hunter Valley Happenings

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:01:08 GMT, James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>> > Electric coal trains anyone??? I guess it depends on the price of
>> > oil. Does anyone know the operating cost of a diesel loc vs
>> > electric??
>>
>> I doubt they would do it, they don't run electric locos on the
>Mountains or
>> the Sillywarra unless they are short of diesels.
>>
>> What would be interesting if they *do* electrify is what would happen
>to the
>> 91 class - they are too heavy to operate anywhere else (in NSW at
>least) and
>> are too new to be scrapped.
>>
>> Dave
>
>Sell them to Pilbara???
>I know one of the company(the one lost for permission to open access
>track from its competitor, can't remember which one thou) will need
>around 8 locos soon when their new line opens.
>
>--
>Cheers
>
>Railway Rasputin

Thats Robe River if its still called that and they have never used
GMs.

Hamersley did for a while have some SD50s but they were a dismal
failure .
Whilst the 90s are a good loco ,they simply wouldnt be useful in the
Pilbara, cant pull enuf , driving controls are on the wrong side ,they
dont have locotrol ,and I doubt that their radiators are big enuf for
the climatic conditions.
And yes, there isnt anywhere else in Australia they can be used on
Govt lines whilst we are stuck with ridiculously low axle load limits.

MD