Re: standardising Victoria

Chris Gordon (cmgord@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au) wrote:
> But yes Nth Geelong - Ballarat should be double line (one for each
> gauge).  I understand the only reason Nth Geelong - Gheringhap was not
> made two single lines was the Viaduct at Moorabool.

The only reason North Geelong - Gheringhap wasn't made two single lines
was because the Adelaide sg was done on the cheap. While dual gauge is
about 10 times the cost of regauging, it's still cheaper than building a
new line.

The Moorabool viaduct is not a huge problem. It can be made dual gauge
(gauntlet track might be preferable) for that short section. The
signalling is not complicated.

Cheers
David