Re: $4b transport plan to ease petrol heat

"Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
KznI5.3219$SF5.69972@ozemail.com.au">news:KznI5.3219$SF5.69972@ozemail.com.au...
> Are these the roads we have to walk on the negotiate cars that block
> footpaths (that is park completely across the footpath)

Yeah, there's a dozen of them on every street. I haven't had to do that in
recent memory.

> or avoid the driveway ruts on unmade footpaths

You're kidding right? You walk out onto the road cause someone didn't want to
pay the councils ridsiculous charges and there's a couple of 6 or 8" tyre
tracks?

> - come for a walk down Winbourne Road
> Hazelbrook one day Tezza and see exactly why everyone walks on the road
> where I live.  Hey, who can knock the generous souls that obey no standing
> signs by not parking on the street (might get booked and cop some road
> rage), they just park on the footpath instead that way evvveeeeryone (that
> they empathise with) is happy.

That is also a bookable offence - Not Park Close And Parallel.

> Or are these the roads we walk on in the CBD because the footpaths still
> aren't wide enough

How fat are you? I haven't seen any footpaths that aren't wide enough for
someone to walk down.

> and the RTA designs traffic signals purely for the
> benefit of managing motor vehicle flow

That's why they're there.

> and inhibiting pedestrian movement (to improve motor vehicle flow of
course).

Again, that's why they're there.

>  Again come to Hazelbrook and use
> the Great Western Highway pedestrian lights.

I can think of better pasttimes.

>  A peak hour train arrives half
> the people cross on the first change and the rest wait the best part of two
> minutes

Two minutes? So? There's another 1,438 in the day.

> regardless of vehicle density and speed of vehicle flow

I agree with you on that one. I often ring the RTA fault number and report
lights that take too lomng to change when there's no crossflow.

> (again the RTA caring for all).  These lights are so widely ignored by
pedestrians

Like the cars parking on footpaths? Jeez you're a disobedient bunch up there.
Maybe the cops should be there to hand out a few tickets.

> because pedestrians are treated like shit.

I can sympathise, motorists pay exorbitant taxes and have to drive on shitty
roads.

>  And once in a blue moon when the
> signals change cars and trucks still run the red (a 15 second delay for the
> benefit of pedestrians at a pelican crossing is just 14.5s too long to
> wait).

While you're waiting, pass around a petition to the council/RTA/SRA for an
overhead bridge.

> Many motorists only understand the needs and rights of pedestrians that
> carry a ten pound sledge hammer over their shoulder - must be time to
> upgrade to a rocket launcher.

Got a pushbike too have you?

> (And don't sweat it, I know there's vague
> wandering pedestrians out there, apart from twits however this group often
> contains some very young, very old and mentally ill people).

The last catagory shouldn't be allowed to wander anywhere, they should be
locked up.