Re: Victorian sg conversion

Chris Gordon (cmgord@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au) wrote:
> Ok from what I understand the SG projects are looking at the following
> * NO SG suburban system.

Given the complexity of the suburban network, it doesn't seem economically
viable to do it. What you need to do is keep the electric network as broad
gauge.

If it was economic to regauge the entire suburban network, it would have
been done in Adelaide.

> * Melbourne - Bendigo would stay BG.  (after all the freight from here
> goes to Appleton Dock, so SG is not an advantage)
> * Mildura SG conversion

Maryborough - Castlemaine and the down line from Castlemaine to Bendigo
could be regauged.

> * Golbourne Valley lines would go SG (I think this is the first big
> one), so the existing grain out of Tocumwal, Echuca, Oaklands and those
> areas would be SG.

I would also suggest dual gauge for the up platform at Seymour.

Albury has merit as double track standard gauge, each signalled for
bidirectional running. As with all double bidirectional lines, you need
crossovers at suitable locations. The obvious solution would be to put
them at stations so passenger trains can use the existing platforms.

This also probably means regauging the up line from Dysart to Somerton.
The Seymout commuter train can still run on a single broad gauge line with
loops at existing stations.

With Seymour passenger trains being the only remaining broad gauge service
in the corridor, you can also make Albion - Jacana double track standard
gauge.

The only missing link is a standard gauge flyover west of Sunshine, then
standard gauge around to Brooklyn.

> * They have had plans for the Hastings SG link for many years (a
> different route to the existing BG link).

IIRC, it was to go south from Cranbourne. It would also have served
Westall, Dandenong and Lyndhurst.

> On a side note, because of the saturation at our docks, they have
> reached a limit of the number of truck and "big" trains.  So the plan is
> to run "satellite" trains from Somerton and Laverton from where the big
> trains stop and these shuttle trains would run all day to and from the
> docks.

Usually called trip working.

Portland is also to become a container port.

Cheers
David