[VIC] 29/11 SRV kinder train.

Today's (29/11) kindergarten train was hauled by K183 and K190. K183 led
in both directions. The consist from Newport was 1BCE - 60BW - 63BW -
61BW - 63ABW - 64AW - 600BK - 68BW - 80BW - 38BE - 25BE. I photographed
the down special near the Melton Weir bridge at 1038. It then arrived in
Bacchus Marsh sometime around 1050. The up special departed Bacchus
Marsh at 1354.

K190 now has a coat of red paint along the running board and on the
buffer beam. When Steamrail originally said they were going to paint
K190 black for a while, it was supposed to be so railfans could see a
more traditional VR black liveried K. As they are going to paint it into
some coloured livery eventually, I don't see why it is so hard to leave
K190 as plain black for the moment. However, if the red is only there
during the kinder trains to add a bit of colour for the kids, this is ok
as far as I'm concerned. I would just like to see K190 in proper VR
condition at some stage before they repaint it.

I'm also wondering why BK600 (formerly BKL600) was in this train. Didn't
Steamrail have enough servicable wooden cars, or is there some other
reason? The K cars are the worst carriages I can think of for a
kindergarten special. As most of the passengers are only about 4 years
old, they are no where near high enough to lean out of the top of the
windows. When I have been on tours with these cars, small kids often
climb up and hang onto the window itself while they are trying to lean
out. What if they slip while they are doing this?

Here are some image captures from my MiniDV video:

K183 and K190 near the Melton Weir bridge:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/2000_kinder1.jpg

K190 at Bacchus Marsh:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/k190_red_buffer_beam.jpg

K183 and K190 climb the grade out of Bacchus Marsh:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/2000_kinder1.jpg

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: