Re: [NSW]SRA billed $15m for airport link's shortfalls

Bill Bolton <billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org> wrote in message
eg8b1tk0eohgbavfsnfuhkpvde78pouk6u@4ax.com">news:eg8b1tk0eohgbavfsnfuhkpvde78pouk6u@4ax.com...
> "William Miller" <backtran@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > From out my way (Parramatta) cab fare to the airport is about $40-50 one
way
> > while the one way rail fare is $11:40.
>
> Unless you live next to the station at Paramatta, that's not a fair
> comparision as it not comparing door to door travel.  While rail may
> have straight forward fare advantages, that is only part of the issue
> in terms of choosing travel modes to an airport.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill

I've seen a lot of people travel to the Airport from Penrith because it is
extremely cost effective (about $15/person versus a $90 cab fare or
$40/person for a minibus).  I suspect this is a city wide phenomenon.  It
will be interesting to see what sort of growth spurt CityRail's new AL
signage will have, the signs have sprouted up everywhere.

The Airport Line is going to require a change in behaviour for most
passengers.  This is a true public transport versus the motor car test in
many ways.  Certainly Mascot loadings at peak hours are displaying healthy
growth, presumably some of this is people drawn out of their cars while some
is from local buses and 300/350 Airport Express services.

As for Green Square station its growth was always dependent upon
redevelopment of the local area from industrial to medium/high density
residential, something which is occurring now and if successful will bring
significant passenger numbers to the line.

It's too early to make a judgement about the line's stations success or
failure (unless you need to generate media stories).  Figures at year 1 and
year 2 will tell a more relevant story.

Chris