Re: Travel patterns (was Re: New form of rail transportation)

> How about also making Melbourne run through trains, like Sydney
(Waterfall - Bondi, Penrith - North Sydney etc) or Brisbane
(Rosewood/Ipswich - Caboolture (?), etc).  This would reduce the
numbers needing to change in the city, while getting away from the
attitude that all they do is take you to the city.

Agree here.
Through-running is universal in Toronto, the city we most rave about.

If half the trains ran loop and half ran direct, the directs should
mostly run through the city to the other side (at least, all the
westerns should as well as about half the easterns). It saves changing
ends at Flinders St.

> Finally, and I think I'll get a fair bit of agreement here, when is
> Melbourne going to do something about the level crossings?
Springvale Rd
> and Nunawading one good example, 4 sets of lights plus the crossing
in 300
> metres, and Bell St (pick one there).

This is something thats been needed for a long time. There was a
program of doing this before the CRB caught the freeway bug.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.