Re: Travel patterns (was Re: New form of rail transportation)

Peter Berrett <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
OYOP5.11102$Xx3.46606@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au">news:OYOP5.11102$Xx3.46606@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au...

> Alex Pout <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> 3a0fb4e1$0$19409$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a0fb4e1$0$19409$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> >
> > Peter Berrett <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> > 5mNP5.11056$Xx3.46422@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au">news:5mNP5.11056$Xx3.46422@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au...
> > >
> > > Thsi is misleading.
> > >
> > > When people take on a new job their choice of place to live is
> influenced
> > by
> > > the availability of public and private transport routes to their job.
> > >
> > > Promoting a radial network has the following effects.
> > >
> > > 1. People are less likely to go for jobs in areas that they do not
have
> > good
> > > transport options to eg across town.
> > >
> > > 2. People are more likely to moved to suburbs that have good transport
> > > options in terms of getting them to their work.
> > >
> > > The effect is that transport journeys become centred on the radial
> > networks.
> > > The population is servicing the rail network not the other way around.
> > Cross
> > > town rail links provide more options for people to get to their job.
One
> > of
> > > the reasons I chose to live in Boronia is because I have a rail link
> with
> > my
> > > work in Box Hill. Had there been a direct rail link to Mill Park I
would
> > > have considered this suburb also.
> > >
> > > cheers Peter
> > >

> > How about also making Melbourne run through trains, like Sydney
> (Waterfall -
> > Bondi, Penrith - North Sydney etc) or Brisbane (Rosewood/Ipswich -
> > Caboolture (?), etc).  This would reduce the numbers needing to change
in
> > the city, while getting away from the attitude that all they do is take
> you
> > to the city.
>
> Slight problem Alex. Our State Government has franchised half of our rail
> network to one company and the other half to another company. Also here in
> Melbourne the city loop is used to loop trains back to from whence they
> came.

I meant to add that it would make the loop redundant.... did the trains
there always run (for example) from Sandringham-City Loop-Sandringham??

> > I agree with Peter's comments there about jobs and transport access.  As
> it
> > was pointed out in another message, one of the things that eastern
suburbs
> > employers wanted in the east and south east was better PT for their
> workers.
> > I've lived in Sydney, Newcastle, Brisbane, and Melbourne, and Melbourne
> > definitely had the biggest "the city is where everything is" attitude
and
> > feel about it.  The way I interpreted that was (and I raised a few
> eyebrows
> > with people there) that trying to avoid the city was something to be
> avoided
> > in itself.  So while that persists, it's not going to help.
>

> > You also wouldn't want to include purely home-work-home journeys in
that.
> > Does the census data have anything in it about all the non-work related
> > journeys that are made, especially across suburbs (i.e. shopping, nights
> > out, etc)?  The fraction of overall trips that work-related trips  make
> up?
> > Or for the ultimate test, what are the traffic volumes on roads that
cross
> > connect suburbs, such as Frankston-Dandenong, Springvale, Stud, Bell St,
> and
> > Camp Rd?
> >
> > Finally, and I think I'll get a fair bit of agreement here, when is
> > Melbourne going to do something about the level crossings?  Springvale
Rd