Re: Travel patterns (was Re: New form of rail transportation)

Alex Pout <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
3a0fb4e1$0$19409$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a0fb4e1$0$19409$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> Peter Berrett <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> 5mNP5.11056$Xx3.46422@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au">news:5mNP5.11056$Xx3.46422@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au...
> >
> > Thsi is misleading.
> >
> > When people take on a new job their choice of place to live is
influenced
> by
> > the availability of public and private transport routes to their job.
> >
> > Promoting a radial network has the following effects.
> >
> > 1. People are less likely to go for jobs in areas that they do not have
> good
> > transport options to eg across town.
> >
> > 2. People are more likely to moved to suburbs that have good transport
> > options in terms of getting them to their work.
> >
> > The effect is that transport journeys become centred on the radial
> networks.
> > The population is servicing the rail network not the other way around.
> Cross
> > town rail links provide more options for people to get to their job. One
> of
> > the reasons I chose to live in Boronia is because I have a rail link
with
> my
> > work in Box Hill. Had there been a direct rail link to Mill Park I would
> > have considered this suburb also.
> >
> > cheers Peter
> >

> How about also making Melbourne run through trains, like Sydney
(Waterfall -
> Bondi, Penrith - North Sydney etc) or Brisbane (Rosewood/Ipswich -
> Caboolture (?), etc).  This would reduce the numbers needing to change in
> the city, while getting away from the attitude that all they do is take
you
> to the city.

Slight problem Alex. Our State Government has franchised half of our rail
network to one company and the other half to another company. Also here in
Melbourne the city loop is used to loop trains back to from whence they
came.

> I agree with Peter's comments there about jobs and transport access.  As
it
> was pointed out in another message, one of the things that eastern suburbs
> employers wanted in the east and south east was better PT for their
workers.
> I've lived in Sydney, Newcastle, Brisbane, and Melbourne, and Melbourne
> definitely had the biggest "the city is where everything is" attitude and
> feel about it.  The way I interpreted that was (and I raised a few
eyebrows
> with people there) that trying to avoid the city was something to be
avoided
> in itself.  So while that persists, it's not going to help.

> You also wouldn't want to include purely home-work-home journeys in that.
> Does the census data have anything in it about all the non-work related
> journeys that are made, especially across suburbs (i.e. shopping, nights
> out, etc)?  The fraction of overall trips that work-related trips  make
up?
> Or for the ultimate test, what are the traffic volumes on roads that cross
> connect suburbs, such as Frankston-Dandenong, Springvale, Stud, Bell St,
and
> Camp Rd?
>
> Finally, and I think I'll get a fair bit of agreement here, when is
> Melbourne going to do something about the level crossings?  Springvale Rd
> and Nunawading one good example, 4 sets of lights plus the crossing in 300
> metres, and Bell St (pick one there).
>
> Al

Agreed - hopefully one day they'll eliminate all level crossings.

cheers Peter