Re: New form of rail transportation

Peter Berrett <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>For example I live in Boronia. To get to work I would have to catch a bus to
>Boronia station then train to Box Hill. The slowness of the bus, infrequency
>of service and the fact that it stops often turns me off using it. It takes
>me twice as long (and longer) to get to work using public transport as it
>does by car.

Actually, this is what I would call a radial journey.  And all you need to
make it feasible by public transport is a reasonably frequent feeder bus to
Boronia station by the most direct route, with priority over car traffic at
intersections, and timed to meet the train at Boronia so waiting time is
minimised.  The train for its part should run express from Ringwood to Box
Hill, with an interspersed Ringwood train picking up intermediate stations.

There is no technical or financial barrier to making this work, just
bureaucratic inertia.

Cheers,
Tony M.