Re: [OT] ideal file size of a jpeg or gif image

OgO wrote:

> A web-page is primarily designed to be viewed on the screen, and therefore
> a 35kb image is fine.  Have it linked to a 300kb image for those who want
> to download it and make it a background or print it or whatever.

This means I would require a 10kb image for the thumbnail, a 35kb image
for people with poor connections and then a 300kb image for people who
want quality.

> >If you have a decent connection (56k dial-up or higher) you won't have
> >any significant problems downloading a 300kb or less image. Unless
> >there is significant congestion, approximately 2 minutes is a worst
> >case scenario and 1 minute or less is the average.
> >

> I'm glad you can be bothered waiting that long for pages to load, most
> people can't, which is exactly why you have the 35kb image on the page,
> linked to the bigger, higher quality one, for those who need it.

The page loads in about 30 seconds as the thumbnails are 10kb or less
images. The thumbnails are there so you can get a fast preview of the
images on my site. You then download the high quality images that you
like and don't worry about the others.

The images linked to by the thumbnails take about 1 minute or less to
download on a reasonable connection without significant congestion. If
you are trying to download it in the peak times, you may have to wait 2
minutes for the full size image on an average connection.

> I must constantly have one of these congested connections as it takes me a
> couple of minutes sometimes to download the 50kb image.  Ok I only have a
> 33.6 kbps modem, but I don't think it's that rare, not everyone can
> afford/has access to cable modems and things.

I never said you needed a cable modem as I don't have one either. 56k
modems are extremely cheap these days as you can pick up some modems for
around $100 - $150. Even with a 33.6k modem it should only take about 30
seconds to download a 50kb image. If it takes you several minutes to
download 50kb images, there is something seriously wrong with your modem
or your connection.

You also have to remember that some people have their sites on really
dodgy servers. Even if you have a good connection, you will often have
to wait for a long time for the other server to respond. My site is
located on Railpage which is as fast as any server I have seen in
Australia. Here is a video capture from my site and it is 54kb. This
should take 30 seconds or less. It took around 15 seconds to download on
my 56k connection to OzEmail.

http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/gm36_t320_beveridge.jpg

Please Note: This image is copyright and must not be used for anything
other than personal non-profit use without my permission.

> Ah, you're one of those: "If you want to look at my page you must have the
> latest buggiest, most bloated browser running on the latest, buggiest,
> most bloated m$ 'OS' " people then?

Windows 95 isn't the latest or greatest operating system as it is now 5
years old. I can even change resolutions on my old P133 without having
to restart it like in the old days. If you don't have Windows 95 or a
comparable operating system, then you are in the minority.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au