Re: [OT] ideal file size of a jpeg or gif image

In aus.rail, on 03 Nov 2000, James Brook announced:

>OgO wrote:
>>

>> A web-page is primarily designed to be viewed on the screen, and
>> therefore a 35kb image is fine.  Have it linked to a 300kb image for
>> those who want to download it and make it a background or print it or
>> whatever.
>
>This means I would require a 10kb image for the thumbnail, a 35kb image
>for people with poor connections and then a 300kb image for people who
>want quality.

No, if a 10kb thumbnail is enough to give people a decent idea of what the
300kb image is about, then that's fine, I just used 35kb images as an
example - if you're going to have a thumbnail linked to a full-size image
you wouldn't want the thunbnail to be much bigger than 35kb.

>> >If you have a decent connection (56k dial-up or higher) you won't
>> >have any significant problems downloading a 300kb or less image.
>> >Unless there is significant congestion, approximately 2 minutes is a
>> >worst case scenario and 1 minute or less is the average.
>> >

>> I'm glad you can be bothered waiting that long for pages to load,
>> most people can't, which is exactly why you have the 35kb image on
>> the page, linked to the bigger, higher quality one, for those who
>> need it.
>
>The page loads in about 30 seconds as the thumbnails are 10kb or less
>images. The thumbnails are there so you can get a fast preview of the
>images on my site. You then download the high quality images that you
>like and don't worry about the others.
>
>The images linked to by the thumbnails take about 1 minute or less to
>download on a reasonable connection without significant congestion. If
>you are trying to download it in the peak times, you may have to wait 2
>minutes for the full size image on an average connection.

The thunbnails on your site are fine, and load reasonably quickly.  Your
site is very good in that respect (I don't know so much about trains, so I
can't comment much on that aspect).

>You also have to remember that some people have their sites on really
>dodgy servers. Even if you have a good connection, you will often have
>to wait for a long time for the other server to respond. My site is
>located on Railpage which is as fast as any server I have seen in
>Australia. Here is a video capture from my site and it is 54kb. This
>should take 30 seconds or less. It took around 15 seconds to download
>on my 56k connection to OzEmail.
>
>http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/gm36_t320_beveridge.jpg

That only took me about 15 seconds to load, which is fine - if you click
on a thumbnail to get the full picture, chances are you want it so most
people don't mind waiting a bit longer - the minute or so that was
mentioned for the 300kb images is ok - as long as the person viewing the
page is the one who decides to view it, they'll probably wait for it - if
you've got something like that on say the main page, it's not so good (I'm
not saying you do, just mentioning it as it fits in with the discussion).

>Please Note: This image is copyright and must not be used for anything
>other than personal non-profit use without my permission.

Fair 'nuff.

>> Ah, you're one of those: "If you want to look at my page you must
>> have the latest buggiest, most bloated browser running on the latest,
>> buggiest, most bloated m$ 'OS' " people then?
>
>Windows 95 isn't the latest or greatest operating system as it is now 5
>years old. I can even change resolutions on my old P133 without having
>to restart it like in the old days. If you don't have Windows 95 or a
>comparable operating system, then you are in the minority.

Maybe, but linux is getting more popular all the time.  I can't recall
what I said this in reply to, but I was more thinking of requiring the
latest version of IE or netscape with all the latest plugins... 99.99% of
the time that would not be needed if sites were written better.

But, like I said, your site, and the size of the images, loads well enough
for me on my 33.6 modem.

Regards

OgO.
--
My Win9x Cursors: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mynx/quentisl/cursors.html
Please don't send me junk leaves! (take them out before replying).

No Silicon Heaven?  But where do all the calculators go? - Kryten.