Re: D57 Class [was Re: 6029]

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Jonathan Lau wrote:

> keith malcolm wrote:
>
> > Where does 55 mph come from? The books I have show a maximum speed of 40
> > mph(including official NSWGR books).
> >

> 40 mph (64 km/h) was the official maximum speed while in normal service and it
> was more than likely this was never exceeded. But have a look in the "The 57s
> & 58s" book about the Melbourne Express trials of 1941. 5719 reached a maximum
> speed of 54 mph (86.9 km/h)!!

Righto- I can see why RAC would have issues with the 57's then...

> On a side note, I had a good look at 5711 at RTM today. Her current maximum
> speed is "0" km/h because she is in a million pieces awaiting reassembly into
> a static display. The RTM guy I was speaking to said 5711 had a firebox
> problem which was another reason it was not returned to running order.
> Hmmm......

If you get inside the firebox you can see past repair work that was been
done and the work that still needs to be done. I think that a fracture
of sorts needs to be mended- I can't really remember... But, yeah as you
say- a lot of work needs to be done to the thing to get it back together
(let alone operational) so the above conversation is really academic!

---
Ben Armstrong                                         /
<ben.armstrong@boral.com.au>  /  ___  |_||_||_||_|  _ _   |_|  ___
<ratso_101@hotmail.com>      //|| | |    Ratsara   | | |  | | | | |
ICQ #: 1434 3878                 0-0                0-0        0-0