Re: [NSW] D57 Class

Railway Rasputin II wrote in message <392BAB9F.7D24C703@fastlink.com.au>...
>The reason why D 57's will not run on the main line again is because of
>speed. Rac wants at least 80kph CONSTANT speed. Not 10kph up hill and
>800 kph down hill, constant.
>Rgds

Mmmmm.....

Is it a fact that RAC has been asked for an opionion on the operation of a
D57 class? I suspect not, given that other operators are running such
strange equipment as ex-VR T class at almost zero notice.

Or is "it would be hard to get timetable paths" just a smokescreen raised
inside a voluntary railway museum operation to make the "let's restore 5711"
enthusiasts go away?  Even though D57s ran trials on the Melbourne
expresses!

As far as I can see, if by some miracle there existed a serviceable D57
class, it would be possible to find timetable paths at weekends to places
like Goulburn, Lithgow/Wallerawang and Newcastle (where suburban electrics
now run).

I'm open to more informed opinion, but I suspect that the operations of
restored D57 (or AD60) class locomotives are technically possible.  I also
suspect that elected and employed officials in some places have decided that
it won't happen because they're preoccupied with their Southern Aurora
operations (never mind the steam engines, we can hire them from somebody who
has a couple of 38's!).

The problem with this in a restoration organisation that relies on voluntary
labour is that, if you decide that something won't happen, you eventually
decide that nothing will happen.

Rgds

Bill