Re: D57 Class [was Re: 6029]

keith malcolm wrote:

> Where does 55 mph come from? The books I have show a maximum speed of 40
> mph(including official NSWGR books).

40 mph (64 km/h) was the official maximum speed while in normal service and it
was more than likely this was never exceeded. But have a look in the "The 57s
& 58s" book about the Melbourne Express trials of 1941. 5719 reached a maximum
speed of 54 mph (86.9 km/h)!!

On a side note, I had a good look at 5711 at RTM today. Her current maximum
speed is "0" km/h because she is in a million pieces awaiting reassembly into
a static display. The RTM guy I was speaking to said 5711 had a firebox
problem which was another reason it was not returned to running order.
Hmmm......

Jon Lau