Re: [QLD] Park Road Station

Queensalnd Rail have issued an information sheet about the Park Road
Station Upgrade Project that is avaialble from the literature rack at
South Brisbane Station.  It says:

QR is undertaking a $13 million upgrade project at Park Road Station
to expand track and platform capacity.

Park Road Station is a critical junction for lines to Cleveland,
Beenleigh and the Gold Coast.  The current restriction of two platforms
and two Citytrain tracks at Park Road Station, limits the number of
Citytrains which are able to access the station.

A new track and two new platforms will enable QR to provide more
frequent services along the Cleveland, Beenleigh and Gold Coast
lines.

Other works associated with the project include a new covered
footbridge, which will provide access to all platforms.  Three lifts
will operate from this footbridge as well as stairs, providing access
to all platforms.

A new covered footbridge linking Merton Road and Dutton Park Primary
School will also be constructed.  The existing station building will
be demolished and a new station building built on the new platform 2/3.

The construction work will be staged to minimise disruption to
commuters and nearby residents.

Most of the work will be undertaken during daylight hours.  However, in
some instances it will be necessary to work at night, to prevent
disruption to train services.  Nearby residents will be advised when
this occurs, prior to the work.

Preliminary work has commenced at the station and a contract to
undertake this project is expected to be awarded by June 2000.  All work
is scheduled to be completed by May 2001.

If you require any further information about this project, please phone
our Community Liaison Co-ordinator, Teresa Robertson on 3235 1806 during
business hours.
Unquote

On the other side of the information sheet is a track diagram of the new
station and track arrangements.  It shows the two exisitng lines coming
from the south to platforms 1 and 2.  It also shows a new line from the
south to platform no. 3 and the track against platform 4 is the existing
dual gauge line.  Would that make platform 4 the only current narrow
gauge/standard gauge platform in Qld?

According to the diagram the new station bulding will be down near the
southern end of platform nos. 2 and 3.

Graham Duffin,
Salisbury  Qld.