[Melb] Passenger Charter (Hillside and Yarra)

The following is from Hillside:
HILLSIDE TRAINS CUSTOMER CHARTER LAUNCHED
Hillside Trains has launched its customer charter with a commitment to
provide customers with safer, more comfortable, more frequent and more
reliable train services.

Melbourne Transport Enterprises Chief Executive, Dale Larkin, said the
the charter is a commitment to our customers based on measurable
improvements - not a document full of promises that cannot be delivered.

"The challenge in developing this guide was to provide something
tangible to customers that has real meaning," Mr Larkin said.

"Using research and customer feedback we have worked with the Director
of Public Transport to create a set of agreed customer services
guarantees which we will be judged upon.

"To illustrate its commitment, Hillside Trains will, from June 1,
provide compensation to passengers if it fails to achieve target levels
of punctuality and reliability based on performance data published every
three months in the Victorian Government bulletin, Track Record.

"This means customers with periodical tickets of four weeks or more will
be able to claim a free daily ticket if monthly performances fall below
the set targets."

Key components of the Hillside Trains customer service commitment
include:
*ensuring no more than one train service in 100 will be cancelled
*delivering 94 per cent of services within five minutes of their
published schedule
*replacing or refurbishing the entire Hillside Trains fleet by the end
of 2004 - with the first refurbished trains coming into operation by
September, 2000
*delivering an extra 4500 timetabled services and introduce additional
services during peak periods to help ease crowding.

"It is the commitment of Hillside Trains to not only meet but exceed the
performance criteria and infrastructure upgrades agreed to with the
Government," Mr Larkin said.

"We have backed this commitment with a $50 million upgrade program for
our station network, the introduction of closed-circuit television and
'customer help buttons' within refurbished trains and the availability
of real-time passenger information at 20 non-Premium Stations.

"The charter represents a fresh approach to transport services in
Melbourne," added Mr Larkin.

-------------------------------

SERVICE COMPENSATION CODE
To illustrate our commitment to delivering the best service possible,
Hillside Trains will provide compensation to our passengers if we fail
to achieve our target levels of punctuality or reliability.

Hillside Trains will report performance data for each monthly period.
Every three months, information about the performance of train and tram
operators will be published in a bulletin called Track Record. Track
Record is an initiative of the Bracks Government, supported by
Victoria's public transport operators.

Passengers with periodical tickets of four weeks or more (valid on the
first day of that period) wil be able to claim a free daily ticket for
the zones specified on their ticket if monthly performance falls below
the thresholds set out below:
*If less than 92 per cent of trains run within five minutes of their
published time schedule; or
*If less than 95 per cent of scheduled trains actually run.

All compensation claims must be made in writing to The Customer
Compensation Department, Hillside Trains, GPO Box 5092BB, Melbourne
3001. Passengers are also required to show proof of travel by submitting
their validated ticket before compensation will be considered.

Posters at stations will advise of any compensation eligibility.

Please note: Hillside Trains will be reviewing this compensation code
over the next six months with a view to extending this offer to the
broader network of daily ticket holders.

The Following if from Yarra Trams:

Customer Service Charter

press release
Yarra Trams launches Customer Service Charter

Yarra Trams has launched a Customer Service Charter, outlining its
ongoing commitment to the highest levels of public transport service.

The Charter sets out what customers can expect from Yarra Trams
including performance statistics, the upkeep of trams and stops and
information about the continuing modernisation of the Yarra Trams fleet.

The Charter also includes a Compensation Code (effective fromJune 1,
2000 for a trial period of six months), under which Yarra Trams'
customers may be eligible for compensatory tickets if certain service
levels are not achieved.

Steven MacDonald, Chief Executive Officer of Yarra Trams, said the
Charter put Yarra Trams' commitment to its customers "in writing for all
to see".

"Since taking on the Yarra Trams' franchise late last year, we are
progressively introducing improvements to our network. Our refurbished
trams with emphasis on passenger comfort, new ticket and route
information and on board security cameras have proved very popular with
customers."

"We are serious about listening to Melburnians and giving them the
public transport they deserve, and we are happy to be held accountable
to the high standards we set ourselves," said Mr MacDonald.

Yarra Trams operate 10 city and suburban routes including the world
famous City Circle service. Routes operated include services from
Bundoora, West Preston, East Burwood, Wattle Park, North Balwyn, St
Kilda, Port Melbourne and services to the MCG, Rod Laver Stadium,
Olympic Park and Colonial Stadium.

Customers can access the Yarra Trams' Customer Service Charter at
www.yarratrams.com.au or by calling 1800 800 166.

For More details on the Customer Service Charter please find following
the Yarra Trams Customer Service Charter.

CUSTOMER SERVICE CHARTER

During its contract with the Victorian Government, Yarra Trams will
improve service and performance levels and fulfil customer satisfaction
standards. We intend not only to meet this commitment but also to exceed
it.
New initiatives and ticket packages will be introduced over the contract
period to assist you, our customer, with your day to day travel
requirements. This Charter sets out what you can expect from us.

Our Vision
"For Yarra Trams to be the leading transport operator in commuting,
tourism and special event travel integrating Melburnians' pride for
their city with pride for their trams."
Time and Performance Standards
We are committed to keep our trams reliable and to steadily improve our
services.
Before Yarra Trams was franchised in August 1999,
71% of our services ran on time. Our aim to June 2001 is to reduce the
number of unpunctual services and improve our punctuality rating to 87%.
Last year less than 1% of Yarra Trams' services were cancelled. By June
2001 our goal is to reduce this further to just two thirds of one
percent. Our ultimate aim is to deliver 100% of all advertised tram
services.
In the event of a serious service disruption, we will provide
alternative transport arrangements. If any severe delays occur, we will
tell you why. We aim to keep to timetables and frequencies that we
advertise and in order to do so we will upgrade the infrastructure to
improve traffic and road management. In addition, Yarra Trams will
provide extra services during special events and when heavy loading
occurs or is expected.

Publications of Performance Statistics
Every three months, Yarra Trams' performance statistics will be
published on the Yarra Trams website at www.yarratrams.com.au.
Alternatively, customers can request this information by calling
Customer Service on 1800 800 166. Every three months, information about
the performance of train and tram operators will be published in a
bulletin called Track Record. Track Record is an initiative of the
Government, supported by
Victoria's public transport operators.
Fares and Ticketing Fares will be controlled by the Victorian
Government. Existing concession fares will remain.
We will continue to provide integrated ticketing for all public
transport services and the multi-modal Metcard will be retained. We will
further our efforts to better inform, promote and educate the community
about the current ticketing system while also developing new tickets to
encourage greater use of trams.
Should you have a problem with your Metcard ticket or the Ticket Vending
Machine, please call the Metcard
Helpline on 1800 652 313.

Ticket Checking
Yarra Trams staff will perform regular ticket checks at all times in a
courteous and professional manner. Please ensure you travel with a valid
ticket, and if applicable, carry your concession card.

Compensation Code
Should you have a reason to be dissatisfied with the service Yarra Trams
provides, you may be eligible for a complimentary ticket. If our average
monthly performance falls below levels set in the contract, we will
provide compensation in the form of complimentary tickets to affected
customers who hold monthly, six-monthly or annual tickets in accordance
with the Compensation Code. Compensation in the form of complimentary
travel tickets may be available to Yarra Trams passengers who experience
severe delays as a result of our action or inaction. Each case will be
judged on its merits and all claims will be considered promptly and
fairly keeping in line with Yarra Trams' Compensation Code. Our
Compensation Code is available upon request through Customer Service on
1800 800 166.

Safety and Security
Your safety is a key priority. Stops and vehicles will be improved over
the contract period to incorporate features designed to make travel
safer for everyone. For example,improved lighting at stops and other
safety measures and initiatives including the possibility of a closed
circuit television on board all trams.
In case of an emergency, please notify your tram driver or call Police
Assistance on 000.

Clean Trams and Stops
We endeavour to keep our trams, stops and shelters clean for your
comfort. Trams are cleaned daily and graffiti will be removed within 24
hours of being reported. We will endeavour to repair vandalised stop
facilities within 48 hours of being reported. Please call Customer
Service on 1800 800 166 to report all matters.

Heritage Trams
Melbourne's popular City Circle Tourist services will continue to
operate free of charge and the "W" Class trams will be kept in service
and retain their authentic historic livery.

Connection Information
We will actively promote tram, train, bus and boat connections to and
from Yarra Trams' services through such initiatives as combined
timetabling, improved signage and coordination with other transport
operators. Better information at stops, which includes real time
information at selected locations, will assist this communication
process.

Journey Planning
Should you wish to plan your journey on several different modes of
transport, please visit the new online trip organiser at
www.victrip.com.au. Alternatively, Tram, Train and Bus Information on
131 638 (VicTrip) can assist you in the matter.

Overcrowding
Passenger comfort is an important part of making Yarra Trams' services
more attractive to customers. Regular patronage monitoring and customer
feedback will help us to identify overcrowding problems. Reports
generated from the validation of Metcards also provide us with helpful
information on scheduling additional services where heavy loading is
identified.

Improvements at Tram Stops
Keeping your tram stop clean, safe and with up-to-date information is an
important part of Yarra Trams' customer commitment. We are constantly
investing in the improvement of passenger facilities. The refurbishment
of some tram stops will include passenger information displays, new
shelters and revised signage.

Modernising Trams
We will continue to modernise existing trams with internal refurbishment
to provide the highest modern standards of passenger comfort throughout
the contract period. In addition, 31 new 'state of the art' low floor
trams will begin operation in late 2001, greatly improving comfort and
accessibility for all passengers, especially the elderly and people with
disabilities.

Carriage of Items
Prams and pushers, golf bags or buggies and shopping jeeps may be
carried at all times free of charge providing that they are of a
suitable size and that room is available without inconvenience to other
passengers.
Bicycles, scooters, surfboards and other large items cannot be carried
on board trams, as they obstruct passengers.
Pets can travel on Yarra Trams' services provided they are in a suitable
container, and a concession fare will apply. Dogs on leads are not
permitted on board trams except for Guide dogs which are accepted at all
times free of charge.

Customer Service

Listening to You
We would like to hear from you about any aspect of Yarra Trams'
services. Please provide us with your suggestions and comments by either
calling Yarra Trams Customer Service on 1800 800 166 or writing to us
attention Customer Service, Yarra Trams, GPO Box 5231BB, Melbourne
Victoria 3001. You can also contact us by e-mail via our webpage at
www.yarratrams.com.au or direct at customerliaison@yarratrams.com.au
In the event of a complaint requiring investigation, Customer Service
will report back to the caller on the status of the complaint within two
working days. A further response will be provided within five working
days of the issue being investigated.

Helping You
We aim to provide you with world class tram service.
We have an ongoing investment in major training programs for all of our
operational staff. Our focus is customer care. We encourage all of our
employees to be courteous, presentable and willing to help and advise
you. We will also assist in transport education programs for schools.

Lost Property
All lost property inquiries should be directed to Customer Service on
1800 800 166.

Special Needs
We recognise and respect the rights of all customers and will comply
with State and Commonwealth standards on access for customers with
disabilities.

Keeping You Informed
We would like your travelling experience to be easy.
Clear and simple on board signage indicating route stops, connections,
places of interest, validation procedures
and ticket options are important elements of our Customer Service
improvements.
Our drivers together with our Customer Service staff are here to assist
you. All our trams are equipped with a public address system for on
board announcements which will be updated and upgraded. Announcements
are made regularly to inform you on all ticket and route services.
Bulletin boards on trams also keep you up-to-date on all Yarra Trams
news. Timetables, maps and brochures are available on board trams, in
retail outlets, at major railway stations and at the Metshop, located at
103 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne.
You can also visit our website at www.yarratrams.com.au for online
timetables and up-to-date service information or alternatively ring the
Tram, Train and Bus Information  hotline on 131 638 (VicTrip) between
6am and midnight, seven days a week.
Customer Service Number
6am - Midnight, seven days a week.

USEFUL NUMBERS and ADDRESSES