Re: New questions for rail experts

Dave Proctor wrote:

> In NSW, they leave the trips at the end of the train down, so that it is
> down on the front AND the back of the train. In Victoria, I believe they
> raise the trip at the back and then lower the trip at the other end.
>
> Not sure as to how they work the arrangement of the trip on the back
> carriage hitting a train stop when running on a line signalled for
> bi-directional running. I have seen some trips lower when a train is to run
> in the opposite direction, I have also seen the back trip strike a train
> stop and not be braked (presumably, it only works when the lever on it moves
> in the one direction).

The trips for rear facing signals are suppresed when the road is set in the
opposite direction.  This means they are kept lowered.  A trip hitting a train
stop in the wrong direction will not cause it to trip, however, if the train is
travelling fast enough (above about 40 km/h) the trip will bounce back and
operate itself.

It is worth mentioning that unless the trip arm is lowered, the train will not
power.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au