Re: New questions for rail experts

"chris 'fufas' grace" <chris@transdata.co.nz> wrote in message
392B8CBA.7FA482FC@transdata.co.nz">news:392B8CBA.7FA482FC@transdata.co.nz...

> And the reason why other bogies on a train don't get tripped is that
> only one
> trip cock at a time is switched in, depending on the drivers cab is in
> use.
>
> I can't speak for NSW as I can't find my copy of the working
> instructions, but
> on the London Underground, which has the same system, one of the
> duties of a driver taking  a train out of a depot or changing ends at
> a terminus is to switch the tripcock in
> from the cab he is using and test it. This can become quite involved
> when a shunt is involved as he has to do it each time he changes cabs.
>
> One thing I'm not sure about: Are the trainstops always on the same
> side of the track
> facing the direction of travel? If they are that means that the
> leading bogie in each set only has a tripcock on that side which would
> mean in an 8 car set that there were only two tripcocks per side.

What about when there are three or four sets in an eight-car set? :-)

In NSW, they leave the trips at the end of the train down, so that it is
down on the front AND the back of the train. In Victoria, I believe they
raise the trip at the back and then lower the trip at the other end.

Not sure as to how they work the arrangement of the trip on the back
carriage hitting a train stop when running on a line signalled for
bi-directional running. I have seen some trips lower when a train is to run
in the opposite direction, I have also seen the back trip strike a train
stop and not be braked (presumably, it only works when the lever on it moves
in the one direction).

Perhaps Dave, Craig or one of our other drivers can expand on this.

Dave