Re: SLR - Extension construction

Dave Proctor wrote:

> "Ben" <sporologist@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 392A6B2C.9394699D@yahoo.com">news:392A6B2C.9394699D@yahoo.com...
> >

> > "C. Dewick" wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > My personal view is that where the light rail line joins up with the old
> > > goods line right of way at Ultimo should *not* have been built like it
> has,
> > > but should have actually been set up as a full-on heavy rail junction so
> > > that the entire goods line could still be kept as an operating
> heavy-rail
> > > freight line for use outside the operating hours of the light rail
> trains.
> >
> > Nice idea, but the light rail runs 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
> > Here are the frequencies from their web site:
>
> [...snipped...]
>
> The current Light Rial runs 24/7, but will the new one? There are turnback
> facilities at John St, so once the extension to Lilydale is open, they might
> take the opportunity to limit the 24/7 running to the Central to Star City
> section.
>
> Dave

But to have a junction at ultimo ( I think Craig means the one near
where the light rail crosses Darling drive) and run freight along there
would require the whole line from there on to be shut down for periods.
The trains could only run from central, down hay street to near the
entertainment centre before turning back. Which is petty pointless.

Regarding the proposed extension to Summer Hill and Ashfield. If another
track were to be built, so that the light rail could have two tracks and
the freight a single track, would this be sufficient for the freight the
line currently sees or might see in the future?