Re: what for the ex "X" 16-645e's

Rod Young wrote:

> Me thinks you are doing a lot of thinking out loud Richard!
> but this is the problem with your train of thought....no one has the answers
> yet!
 Yes..tend to agree ..just a lot of thinking out loud.  Your comments are
accurate...but that wasnt the question..It is reported that FA are spending
$34.5 million on engines/bogies to Cascade their power plants resulting in
quite a few GM 16-645e engines being available for reconditioniong and being
used in some repowering/rebuilding.

[danger thinking out loud again :-))]...I also would have thought that it was
possibly viable for a MK-clone or Fred and Harry Loco workshop to create a
small fleet of hybreeds!!  like you suggest use the engine etc in new
bodies..ala GM veryown GP15's..   This would result in a fleet of say some 15
odd (probably not all engines up to the grade upon inspection) locomotives
rated at say a conservative 1500Kw..all latest electrical bits and bobs
etc....would be a very attractive loco...used separately or in pairs.

Correct me if wrong but  (thinking) the biggest problem facing any contract
service provider (they used to be called railways) is that they no longer have
the ability to confidently amortise the cost of any major capital expense over
any great period of time.  Contracts are typically for 2-5 years. The market
seems most suited now to the likes of CFLA and anyone else looking to hire by
the hour.

If Clydes , or Gons want to still be relevant in the loco field they will need
to be proactive ...just like GM and GE did some years back in the states
...and adapt...or they they will cease to have any major part in the
industry...Companies will just go offshore if these locals are not a little
clever. No matter who are moving these trains on the various contracts...some
power is going to be used..as we have seen a erluctance of some companies to
realise assets when mothballed..for fear of the enemy getting them..then the
era of major Loco contracts might be over for a long time in this land...Short
of any majorly underwritten outfit (read QR) or maybe FC.

FA have already  (well to me) shownthemselves to be adept and quite lateral in
their methods..so I was just wondering what they were going to do with all
those engines??  ALso how many bogies are coming in..and how does the cascade
go withrespect to these??

Thanks

cheers >:~)) Richard