Re: what for the ex "X" 16-645e's

Me thinks you are doing a lot of thinking out loud Richard!
but this is the problem with your train of thought....no one has the answers
yet!
it seems though from ,only, this Newsgroup that ATN have won some grain in
Victoria, but found that Freight Australia has a contract with the Victorian
Government that gives them management  rights to the whole BG. This was part
of the $165 million agreement with the Kennett Government.
ATN ,and others, then went squealing to Mr Bracks, who recently made an
announcement that Victoria might take back these "rights" and establish an
access regime similar to NSW and allow others to participate more
easily[means cheaply]. Freight Australia says you cannot do that, and
immediately notified the Government that they were in dispute, and I have
heard, that they may have overpaid up to $100 million for V/Line Freight, if
they have not got exclusive and free access to the track. Freight Australia
were never going to exclude others, but their commercially viable rates
would be higher than the Government is likely to charge. I guess this new
Authority would then need to rebuild / maintain the tracks.
ATN are building a Fueling Point at McIntyre Loop...
This group has also seen reports that the L class have been sold to ATN
or that they are in storage in WA...or that they are still in service??
Possibly a little bit of each?
Morrisson Knudsen had some 442's when they went broke...
Queensland have some 90 tonners for Sale......
US locos are not available for use in Victoria, their axle loads and
physical dimensions rule them out.
South America would not have anything we can use, they run them into the
ground!
China might be a go, I seem to remember that I read somewhere that the
Europe might also be a good place to look, but most big hp is Electric.
My guess is reactivate Knudsens, or the like, and build new bodies to
install second hand equipment ex the US would be a best cost option.
Clyde Somerton have all the equipment in place to continue building 4000 hp
engines, that is continue on with the West Rail order. This would be a cheap
alternative for Freight Australia, if they want to ask RA for some financial
help. I bet Clyde would make a generous discount for a Continuation [no
changes] of an existing contract.
But despite all the above, my guess is RA are bidding strongly for West
Rail, and depending on this outcome will come their decision on what to do.
Our new Union agreement seems to be about to be ratified, It is simply
leaving things as is, with little changes to work practices, which are
already world class as far as Management are concerned. Wages have been
given a minor boost, over three years, and all with little argument.
Management have expressed their appreciation to their staff for a job well
done, and our Privatisation worries have been put to bed.
 Rod Young
http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/
Foundation President and Co-Founder
Hobsons Bay Model Railway Club Inc.
Operators of Australia's only 'Australian' Model Railway Show
Every Easter in Melbourne.
and my page
http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/rods

392643BE.42C395CB@primus.com.au">news:392643BE.42C395CB@primus.com.au...