Re: Re: [NSW] Alternate names for "Central"

"Paul McCabe" <@> got bored on Fri, 19 May 2000 20:07:15 +1000 and so wrote the following:

          > With the May 21 timetables, the maps inside have been updated to have
          Ashfield removed from the
          > Western line (a remnant of November 1996 timetable), the airport stations
          with the "Opens 2000"
          > removed and also "Sydney Central" renamed back to good old "Central", with
          "Sydney Terminal" being
          > "Central - Platforms 1 - 15"

          While they were updating, they should have had a closer look at the extra
          stations now with disbled access.  Lidcombe is listed (which only recently
          received access), yet St Leonards has been slated for a while as having
          lifts installed.

          > This "Sydney Central" business certainly didn't last too long!

          I bet the new station signs will display Sydney Central

When do they go in? After the "Central Station upgrade" which is many months late? Or will they put
it in before the station's upgrading is complete?

Strathfield's new signage is all in place. The next phase I feel will be the removal of the
concourse rolling-type indicators and the installation of plasma screens.

          > My guess is because close to none of the SPI, DVA or guard's announcements
          actually said "Sydney Central" (Epping says "Sydney Central"
          > instead of "Sydney Terminal" but goes back to "Central" for suburban
          services).

          Olympic Park says Sydney Central too, but only on some selected trips.
          Maybe once the station is upgraded, all DVA's will broadcast this.

But now the new maps in timetables go back to "Central", so what's the point of changing all the
time? I feel there is a lack of coordination (and training for guards too--for saying "Central" not
"Sydney Central", but every right-minded person knows it's Central)