Re: [Vic] Freight return to Cold stream??

In article <W4zU4.191$YF4.34711@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net> "HXP1" <hxp1@bigfoot.com> writes:
>From: "HXP1" <hxp1@bigfoot.com>
>Subject: Re: [Vic] Freight return to Cold stream??
>Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 01:40:23 +1000

>James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>8fu2he$t6a$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8fu2he$t6a$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
>> In article <YMuU4.172$YF4.26462@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
>>   "HXP1" <hxp1@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> > As others have observed, what's in it for Hillside? A whole lotta
>> > risk & minimmal return.

>> No effect at all to Hillside since there will be AT MOST 1 train a day.

>Indeed, no effect at all *providing* the train doesn't break down or run
>late.  If it does, then it starts costing PWM's.

>> > Reading the paper "Discussion Paper - Proposals for the
>> > Implementation of the Victorian Rail Access Regeime",
>> > the government is currently proposing not to declare
>> > any of the Hillside network for any purpose.  Whereas
>> > it is proposed to declare Bayside for freight.  So
>> > Hillside is well within their right to tell FA to go
>> > away, with the confidence that FA won't have any
>> > comeback.

>> > Of course I may be wrong...  |-)

>> Really?? I though Victrack owns all the intrastate tracks within
>> Victoria, inlucding Burley/Lilydale line, Hillside have no rights ban
>> freight trains

>Indeed, VicTrack owns all the track assets in Victoria.  They then lease the
>portions over which Hillside & Bayside operate to the Director of Public
>Transport (therefore the Government is leasing it to itself) who in turn
>leases it to the 2 metro operators AFAIK as part of the franchise.

>Now unless there are provisions within the Franchise Agreement which force
>Hillside to provide 3rd party access when directed by the DPT (which there
>*may* be), 3rd party access is not mandatary.  That's the subject about
>which the above mentioned paper is currently calling for submissions in
>regard to the FA Victorian Country intrastate network, Dynon terminals, and
>the Bayside network.

>Hillside may decide that they like freight traffic to Coldstream, and make
>available the paths for the freight traffic, but they may not.

>--
>HXP1
>(now with v6.08 software)

Even if there is a declared access regime in existance ,the access provider
can make life extremely hard for the access seeker by a number of perfectly
legal means.
Firstly ,you simply set a ridiculously high access charge that makes it
unviable for the access seeker,by the time that the access seeker has exhausted
all the appeal processes over the fee,they will have lost the freight.
Secondly ,you can provide totally unviable train paths at times unsuitable for
the access seeker ,and ensure that his train gets no priority whatsoever.
Thirdly, getting a railway line declared ,so that open access may be provided
if there is currently no open access,is a cumbersome ,time consuming and money
consuming process which can take years to complete.
FA would be better off buying a fleet of trucks.

MD