Re: [NSW] Female guards are hopeless!!!

Affirmative action.....the consequence of such nonsense is that people like
me are forced to deal with the insecurities of little boys playing train
games - read as - look at ridiculous posts by people like facetious who
obviously know everything.

The definition of a generalisation is - A principle, a statement, or an idea
having general application.  I think you've achieved that outstandingly.

I am more than willing to admit that there are plenty of women doing my job
who are incapable and who don't care.  I have heard a couple of funny
instances first hand in the last couple of months which have led me to roll
my eyes and cringe at the lack of knowledge that some guards display.  I
cringe for myself rather than them because I am looked upon as a "blonde"
who knows nothing and who doesn't care.  I am also more than willing to
point out that there are more men than women doing my job and they display a
lack of knowledge and disinterest that is on par or worse than some women.
Let me also point out that if you put an S set in front of me and asked me
to divide it I could do it faster and with less fuss than some men I know.
I find it a logical and easier train to divide than a Tangara and when I was
faced with dividing one recently I first had to overcome the fact that two
train drivers stood with their arms folded and took bets against me being
able to do it.  I am not the kind of person to fly off the handle at
displays of ignorance like this but it did annoy me and rest assured that I
showed them that I am capable of doing my job to the best of my ability.
So now we come to Cronulla.  There were three people at fault in this
situation and it had nothing to do with anyone's gender:
1. The driver for setting back
2. The guard because she wasn't at the back of the train
3. The signaller because he/she set the wrong road

What it comes down to is that it happened and it had nothing to do with
anyone's gender.  I am sick to death of defending my choice to become a
guard to people like facetious who make comments like

> > > Im not saying ALL female guards are like this, but I can honestly
> say
> > > MOST of them are like this.

Well I'd like to know what you think a fair proportion of MOST would be.
Would you say that you know 70% of women guards?  If you know that many then
would you say that you've seen all of them work and can make an informed
judgement about whether they know their job or not?  Have you assessed their
safeworking knowledge?  Have you quizzed them on road knowledge?  I don't
question your honesty just your reality.

facetious wrote - so they get these new employees, who knows nothing about
trains
> > > whatsoever, and they think they can get out of doing the dirty work.

I was a station assistant before I became a guard and am willing to admit
that my knowledge of trains was minimal.  I didn't at any time think that "I
could get out of doing the dirty work" and was pleased to learn all about
safeworking and the management and running of trains.  I have used what I
have learnt and I continue to use it daily.  I can admit that I learn
something new every day and I am open to that influx of knowledge.
I am saddened that there are people in the world that think like you do and
am displeased with the generalisations you have made.  Here's a tip for you.
Don't ever try to insult my intelligence again based on what you think
someone else does or doesn't know.

Regards
Jane

All comments made are in a private capacity and do not represent the views
of my employer.