Re: [VIC] Motorcaders (was: V set transfer)

On Tue, 16 May 2000 04:47:56 GMT, Michael Kurkowski
<mk@netstra.com.au> wrote:

>Just a question... Will donations to non profit organisations still be tax
>deductible after Howards new tax comes into effect on July 1?

The simple answer is, it depends.

Donations to your average not for profit organisation will continue
their current status (ie no income tax deductibility). Donations to
certain not for profits that are registered (primarily those
registered as deductible gift recipients) will continue to be income
tax deductible.

For example, donations to the Salvos, Red Cross will continue to be
income tax deductible, but donations to a local advocacy group will
continue to not be income tax deductible.

The introduction of "A New Tax System (ANTS)" has some truly
horrendous impacts on the not for profit/charity sector, and you will
find that many of the organisations in the sector are struggling to
keep up with the changes. The majority of these organisations are
being required to not only register for an ABN, but to also register
for the GST (not the same as ABN rego), and a variety of other
requirements of the ATO.

BTW, don't forget that the GST is just one small part of the new tax
system, although the current level of misinformation from the
Government would have you believe otherwise.

For more information, you should take a look at the Tax Reform website
(www.taxreform.gov.au), and if you can actaully find something quickly
and easily let me know - I gave up on that pointless quest months ago!

I am more than happy to discuss the ANTS package more, so if you want
more information/arguments/flame wars etc., please contact me by email
rather than via the newsgroup.

Peter O'Halloran
Email - peterATsa.canberra.edu.au (replace AT with @ to email me)