Re: SD40s for ASR?

This is exactly my thoughts on the subject.  Even if they bought complete
locos in the USA surely they would strip them for the required parts and go
to the expense of bringing the whole unit out.  And if they did strip in the
US surely their local subsidiary could use the spare parts.  If you are only
running a couple of trains  a day it could be possible to run the SD40's
from Adelaide to Darwin without damaging the track too much.  They run
SD40's on reasonably light industrial branches etc in the US.  Maybe some
weight could be pared off to make them suitable. A lot of US diesels are
actually ballasted.  I am not saying this is what will actually happen but
just an educated guess.
Cheers

Rod Gayford

"David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
SC6U4.1253$mr6.689796@news0.optus.net.au">news:SC6U4.1253$mr6.689796@news0.optus.net.au...
> Richard (richard_snook@primus.com.au) wrote:
> > Why byu a complete loco for spares when you can shop off the shelf in
the
> > states for the required parts...you buy a loco for a loco...too much
waste in
> > buying a complete loco for parts...more likely to buy  aloco as a going
> > concern or indeed as subjects of upgrades/rebuilds themselves...this
Darwin