Re: SD40s for ASR?

In article <563U4.826$mr6.542114@news0.optus.net.au>,
David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote:
>Rod Gayford (rjaygee@smartchat.net.au) wrote:
>> Perhaps the line to Darwin will be built to a standard to take US locos.
>> Dimension wise there should not be any problems. Would be good to see some
>> real US locos running and not emasculated designs they use here because of
>> the moronic loading gauge.

>It would definately be built for double stacking. I assume GSR won't be
>using platforms so any extra width wouldn't be a problem either.

>If there are SD-40s on the way, they could be for ATN (ex-Westrail Ls).

 Wouldnt it be far more likely that the SD40s are being obtained only for
their parts ?. After all the L, CL, AL, BL (81 , G) are basicly SD40s of
various types, and ASR might just have found buying 2nd hand SD40s and
stripping them down cheaper that going through GM/Cyde for 'factory
reconditioned' or new parts. Especially so if they get their hands on SD40s
that havent seen much action since their last major overhaul.