Re: SD40s for ASR?

This rumour has been around for over 12 months and still no evidence to
support it. There have even been claims of them being seen on a wharf in
California and other stories of them actually being on ships and on the way
to Australia. Why would ASR buy buy clapped out SD40s and spend millions of
dollars shipping them to Australia when they have 16 422s? The 422s have not
even arrived in SA for full evaluation and already there is speculation about
using SD40 parts from locomotives that would be imported for no reason other
than to supply parts. ASR haven't even awarded a contract to anyone for
rebuilding these units! Only last year 5 SD50s and 3 dash 7s were exported
from this country and are now operating in the USA. I also notice that no one
has yet answered this message to say that the rumour is true. It is just
another wild rumour that railfans live in hope for.
Cheers
Bob