Re: {melb} comeg and hitchi

> >This may be a dumb question but why do they need to attach a loco to
> >transfer suburban stock?
> >Does the Melbourne electrified system consist of separate isolated areas
> >or is there some other strange reason for these happenings?

Just as Michael said, the places where the sparks are taken as beyond
the electrified system.
Have a look at: http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig/gallery/melb-metro/
and there are three pictures of the spark transfer.

* The first is of T395 (Steamrail) and the Comeng coupled together using
a transition coupling.
* The second is of the other end of the Comeng already fitted with a
transition coupling (since the train goes Newport - North Melbourne -
Somerton it is needed to be pulled from both ends)
* The third is of T395 arriving at Somerton and clearly shows why a loco
is needed (no overhead, yet!!)

> When transferring to/from destinations like Somerton, Ballarat and Bendigo.
> Somerton = Clyde
> Ballarat = Alstom
> Bendigo = Goninan
> (afaik)
>
> Not sure, but I think Clyde were contracted to do the cab mods for Bayside,
> Goninan were doing the internal refurbishments for both, and park brake
> mods, and Alstom are doing other Hillside stuff. Someone can correct me on
> this...

Current transfers are for "Reliability upgrades" digital speedo, new
wooden deck around pantographs and more which I can't remember but is in
the May issue of Rail News Victoria (out later this week).

--

Chris Gordon

http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig
e-mail - cmgord@alphalink.com.au