Re: {melb} comeg and hitchi

Paul de Vries <Paul.deVries@tip.csiro.au> said:

>This may be a dumb question but why do they need to attach a loco to
>transfer suburban stock?
>Does the Melbourne electrified system consist of separate isolated areas
>or is there some other strange reason for these happenings?

When transferring to/from destinations like Somerton, Ballarat and Bendigo.
Somerton = Clyde
Ballarat = Alstom
Bendigo = Goninan
(afaik)

Not sure, but I think Clyde were contracted to do the cab mods for Bayside,
Goninan were doing the internal refurbishments for both, and park brake
mods, and Alstom are doing other Hillside stuff. Someone can correct me on
this...

When Craigieburn is electrified, then there will probably be no need for
loco hauled transfers to Somerton at least - unless a short sighted rail
corporation or government doesn't wire the track into Clyde (highly likely,
imho).

Regards

Michael.