Re: [Vic] Freight return to Cold stream??

In article <8fm7f0$a1i$1@nnrp1.deja.com> James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com> writes:
>From: James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com>
>Subject: Re: [Vic] Freight return to Cold stream??
>Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 12:50:43 GMT

>In article <391e93a2.22740864@news.ocean.com.au>,
>  pcc@ocean.com.au (Brown Family) wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 May 2000 09:41:35 GMT, James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > A rumor FA won contract to haul log from Coldstream, which means
>it's
>> >possible to see freight trains on Lylidale line agin, anymore
>> >information about this train? the timetable??
>> >
>> >--
>> Where on earth are they going to get the locos from? Pull locos out of
>> the North Williamstown Museum? What locos meant for preservation are
>> being used, or going to be, in revenue service? T413? S313?.
>>
>> What's next? S308?
>If I were them I would just give Clyde an order book:-).

>It's really time for FA to order locos, they are stretching their
>limits now and I doubt purchase 2nd hand from QR would work. Freight
>Corp hate FA and probaily won't sell 80/442 to FA either.

>--
>Cheers

>James

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Well James, Im glad your not in charge of FA or they would be bankrupt by now.
Have you any idea what a new loco costs.?
Back in the days when the Australian dollar was in the high 70s a new 3000HP
loco cost $3.5 million.
Today with the A $ dollar hitting 57 c US,and remember where all the major
parts for new locos come from ,you would be up for a mere $ 4.6 million each .
Now as most private railroad companies dont have that sort of money sitting
around in bank accounts doing nothing ,you would have to borrow the money and
we are in a rising interest rate market.

Its significant that the three private newcomers to the Aus Rail scene who
have all turned loss making Govt railways into profitable ones,namely ASR,FA
and Tasrail all have chosen to not buy new locos.
WCR is another example.
On the other hand ,the company with the newest locos,and which are argueably
the most efficient and hi tech in the country (NRC) ,hasnt made a single cent
profit since its inception.

There is nothing wrong with 2nd hand locos,including Qld ones,if they are
substantially cheaper than new ones.
They do the same work, pull the same loads, earn you the same revenue.

MD