Re: [Vic] Freight return to Cold stream??

> From: mauried@tpg.com.au (Maurie Daly)
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:37:56 LOCAL
> Subject: Re: [Vic] Freight return to Cold stream??
>
> There is nothing wrong with 2nd hand locos,including Qld ones,if they are
> substantially cheaper than new ones.
> They do the same work,(nah) pull the same loads(nah), earn you the same
revenue(nah). A hatrick!

I'm glad GOD is not an accountant on a real railway. Ever noticed how the
RR's in the US that do not rely on any guv subsidies (and indeed pay tax on
their land, a concept unimaginable in Australia) are buying new locos as
fast as GE and EMD can build them? These RR's can't get rid of their old
junk quick enough. Why? Very simple, each dollar they spend on fuel and
maintenance on a new loco moves a lot more freight than any old loco you
care to mention. Take away the guv subsidies and we'll see if the new
private operators are really making any money.

Mark