Re: home signal

In article <3916918C.1833232D@efs.mq.edu.au> Eddie Oliver <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> writes:
>From: Eddie Oliver <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au>
>Subject: Re: home signal
>Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 20:06:04 +1000

>Maurie Daly wrote:

>> Uranquinty loop is a short loop, only 900 M long so the possibly of refuging a
>> train between signal 15 and signal 25 , the departure home is very unlikely.
>>
>>       5                                       15         25
>>     -o-o                                   -o-o       -o-o
>>              \   o-o-                                     /    o-o-
>>                --------------------------------------------
>>                  o-o-                   -o-o \       -o-o
>>                                             17  \        27
>>                                                    \---------
>>                                                      o-o-
>>
>> I hope the picture comes out ok.
>> Apart from making the diagram look nice , ie the signals are symmetrical
>> I can so no purpose for signal 15.

>My recollection (but quite likely wrong) is that it was there for
>consistency. It was thought that drivers may be misled by having the
>Kywong line junction signal (17) unmatched by a corresponding signal on
>the main - i.e. it was best to have every signal on one track associated
>with one on the other, so that except when a train was obstructing view,
>drivers would always see two signals and therefore deduce by a simple
>right-hand/left-hand decision which signal applied to their train.

>Eddie

You may be right Eddie , in that there is a similar though not identical
arrangement at the Rock for the Oaklands line.
Its a bit harder to understand due to the two loop lines .
Although at Culcairn where we also have the old Corowa Branch
things are as one would normally expect,no additional symetrical signals.

thankd
MD