Re: home signal

In article <3910F2C9.464C7488@fastlink.com.au>,
  Railway Rasputin II <bob@fastlink.com.au> wrote:
> [...]
approaching
> > an interlocking area, and which actually affords the protection for
the
> > junction, crossing, or other risk.
>
> Ok how about a Home Signal protects and interlocking or risk area such
> as a level xing?
>
> The next 'stop' signal past the home
> > signal is known as the 'second home', the next is 'third home' etc
etc
> > etc.
>
> And what about a starting signal?? It can be at stop an areas that
only
> need one home.
>
> If the need arises (such as if there was a ground frame just
> > before the Home), an 'Outer Home' signal is placed before
the 'Home' to protect that.

> Hmm How about an Outer Home protects the "netural zone" ie sidings,
> space for shunting movements to be carried out within the yard limits?
>
> FYI there are a couple of other types of signals such as
> > in single lines which are inherently bidirectional, a 'Distant'
signal

> Distant signals are also used on double lines as well including the
main
> south.
>
> > which is placed at braking distance in rear of the home and gives
the
> > driver advanced warning of the state of the home. In little used
lines
> > the 'distant' is replaced by a 'landmark' (a retro-reflective yellow
> > triangle).
>
> The landmark signal is in place where all trains must proceed with
> caution to the home as opposed to a distant which has two postitions
> full clear and caution.
> There are 3 types of Landmark signal.
> Non reflective with a light, non reflective yellow with cats eyes
> reflectorand the retroreflective type that you have mentioned.
>
> In Automatic signalled areas (unidirectional lines) the last
> > signal approaching the 'home' is called the 'Accept' and it too is
> > placed at braking distance to the home.
>
> The accept signal is the first controlled signal after an automatic
> section.
> The signals reading from an
> > interlocking into a single line (bidirectional line) are
> > called 'Starting' signals and they give the driver authority to
proceed
> > into the block (providing there are no other safeworking procedures
> > adhere to such as train staff).
>
> Starting signals when cleared allow the train to proceed into the
> section provided they have the correct authority/token.
> >
> > Anyway I hope this explains it. As to 'what operates a home signal',
> > well a lever or push button does. But I guess you're not really
after
> > that type of answer :-)
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Ian Hayes
> > Railway Signal Design Engineer
>
> Source: Safeworking Signalling Manuual and Basic Safe Working Manual.

Well, my learned colleague, thank you for the additional info. I was
only giving Tom a brief and non technical description of 'Home'
signals. I know that there are other types of landmarks. I know that
there are other reasons for Outer Homes. That's because I design them.
However you have me stumped on the distant on double lines. Where
exactly is it. A distant is only required for the approach to a home
(or outer home) coming off a single line section. Normally in double
line sections  they are Auto sections and therefore you would approach
an accept signal before the home.

regards

> rgds

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/