Darwin Gateway to Australia: was.... (OT)Re: Darwin port to be expanded.

That's the whole point of the Railway, mate.
These large super ships cost/charge hundreds of thousands of dollars a day
to operate. In the time Heavy Shipping takes to go round Australia dropping
off at Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, they could return to
their Asian Port and reload for another paying voyage.
If a heavy duty Railway is built properly, and links all these Ports with a
reliable, and quick transport system, Darwin WILL be Australia's biggest
Port. That is as long as we continue to Trade heavily with our Asian
neighbours. Patrick's have for about three years now being doing just that,
from Perth, allowing ships to stop once only in Australia, and the
"Patrick's trains" link to the Eastern States
Now you should understand, and this has been talked about repeatedly in the
press and this group!
;o)

--

Rod Young