Re: Darwin port to be expanded

True there are remnants along the Stuart Highway, but
the original ANR survey almost twenty years ago, made
no provision for pass trains and no intention of
following the old narrow gauge into the Darwin yards.
Passenger trains have been mentioned over the years,
but I have heard nothing from the Government or the
consortium on a passenger spur into Darwin.

I would imagine the cost of standard gauge work to get
as far as the old 2 & 1/2 mile workshops at Parap would
be prohibitive just for a weekly passenger train,
beyond that point, no way.

The last time I viewed the site of the original Darwin
Yards at the bottom of McMinn Street in the City there
was no doubt in my mind that trains would ever run down
there again.

----Tell