Re: Darwin port to be expanded

"< Tell >" wrote:

> If it happens it will be somewhere near the "satellite"
> city of Palmerston, this is where the proposed line
> curves away south to the East Arm Port facility.
>
> The former NAR right of way into Darwin city has been
> well and truly obliterated in the name of progress and
> the almighty dollar.!
>
> ----Tell
> Alice Springs NT.

Are you sure?, when I was in Darwin on my way to Timor in February I had
a bit of a wander and a lot of the right of way is still there.  Indeed
I had a brief look for the spot where the photos you sent me were taken
was, however I'd spent some time in the mess that day prior to being
rationed to my "TCPMPD" and my search was by no means thorough.
Certainly between Palmerston and the entrance to the RAAF base in
Winellee there are remnants of earthworks and some bridges still intact,
although almost certainly not serviceable.  A lot of it has been
converted to walking trail and the like, NT politicians have never been
adverse to putting development ahead of public amenities, so that could
possibly be undone without too much trouble.  From outside the RAAF base
up to Bagot Rd the road bed, including rail is still in place.  From
Bagot Rd on to the old workshops at Stuart Park the earthworks are still
in place and the right of way mostly still visible.  From there to the
Daly St bridge I'm not too sure about, I didn't get a good look in
there, the bridge itself is intact and the right of way clearly visible,
then from the Daly St bridge to the old yards near the wharf I also
didn't get a look at.  The yards themselves are well and truly gone, and
there is a significant amount of apartment building etc etc along the
back of McMinn St which probably precludes getting the line right into
the Darwin CBD.  Certainly a line to near the old workshops would be
feasible, and a line into Winellee may help generate some traffic since
that's where almost all Darwin's industry is.  A passenger terminal in
or around Stuart Park is then a possibility.

Given the NT Government's penchant for grand structures in Darwin to
immortalise their magnificent rule be prepared also for the "Shane
Stone" or the "Paul Everingham Bridge" across the harbour into Darwin
directly from East Arm tucked up under the wharf precinct. :-)

Jackson

Jackson & Jo Harding
email:  jaxsonjo@camtech.net.au
mobile: 0412 793 587 (Jackson)