Re: Darwin port to be expanded

David Bromage wrote in message ...
>ABC radio reports the NT Government has announced it will invest an
>additional $19 million in facilities at Darwin's East Arm Port, on top of
>$18 million announced in the 1999 budget. The additional funding will
>include a bulk liquids berth, a container storage and transfer area, and a
>container berth. All will be provided with rail access. The project will
>be completed in time for the opening of the Alice Springs - Darin railway
>in 2003.

There is a degree of scepticism about the East Arm project in the maritime
industry in Australia. I recall when I worked in the industry, a trade
magazine had an article on the project and by the time I got it my boss had
scribbled "a waste of (southern) taxpayers money" on the page.

I suppose a port to import pies in the sky is perfect to link up to a
railway that will mostly carry them.

Barry Campbell