Re: City Rail Who would buy it anyway ?

james_ccj@my-deja.com wrote in message

>From what I see Cityrail have potential of been  a highly profitable
>company.
>
>Huge population and catchment area with high ridership, relatively new
>rollingstock. If Cityrail manage properly it would be extremly
>profitable. The downside however, are old signal, tracks and
>infranstructures require upgrades, I think Cityrail is worthy
>investments.

Another downside was the problem that Ed Burkhardt saw when he bought the UK
freight companies to form EWS - the lack of vertical integration. For a
railway to operate properly, it needs to control the tracks that it operates
over. If someone else does, then the railway will not be able to set
comercial priorities - someone else (the track owner) will be doing that -
yet they will suffer the consequences of delays (something that they have no
control over).

Dave