Re: New platform indicators

If you want to know which platform is the best to be on, It is a good
idea to find out before you go onto a platform. Which is why they have
boards with the times of the next train on the concourse downstairs.
But I agree that it is good to also have this on the platform.
I had a look at the plasma screens at Martin Place today. While the
display is very crisp and clear, you have to be reasonably close to read
it. The advantage of the light bulb type indicators is that you can
learn the layout of the station names and see whether the next train is
going your way from a long distance away. e.g. at Strathfield I can
glance  at the board on platfrom 4 from halfway along the platform and
see whether it is going to ashfield, even though i can't read what it
says.
With the plasma screens, everybody will have to get closer to the
screens. I hope they will realise this and install a greater number.
Probably not though.

Ben Munro