Re: New platform indicators

Ben wrote:

> If you want to know which platform is the best to be on, It is a good
> idea to find out before you go onto a platform. Which is why they have
> boards with the times of the next train on the concourse downstairs.
> But I agree that it is good to also have this on the platform.
> I had a look at the plasma screens at Martin Place today. While the
> display is very crisp and clear, you have to be reasonably close to read
> it. The advantage of the light bulb type indicators is that you can
> learn the layout of the station names and see whether the next train is
> going your way from a long distance away. e.g. at Strathfield I can
> glance  at the board on platfrom 4 from halfway along the platform and
> see whether it is going to ashfield, even though i can't read what it
> says.
> With the plasma screens, everybody will have to get closer to the
> screens. I hope they will realise this and install a greater number.
> Probably not though.

I imagine that this will be the case.  Attached table shows number of screens.  Set
Fixed width font on.

Station        Total|Inc Plats|On Plats|Avg|On Concourse
Central        83    10        56       6   27
Redfern        52    12        44       4   8
Strathfield    64    8         40       5   24
Town Hall      64    6         36       6   28
Wynyard        34    4         24       6   10
Ashfield       34    5         28       5   6
North Sydney   27    4         24       6   3
Penrith        18    3         14       5   4
Lidcombe       26    4         18       5   8
Circular Quay  16    2         12       6   4
Museum         16    2         12       6   4
St James       16    2         12       6   4
Bondi Junction 16    2         12       6   4
Edgecliff      14    2         12       6   2
Kings Cross    14    2         12       6   2
Total 15       494   68        356      5   138

It will be expensive.  I wonder how visible they will be in direct sunlight?

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au