Re: [NSW] Automated "Stand clear, doors closing"

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> Why couldn't it be set up as such that there is a separate mechanism to
> control the announcement and the actual door closing?

It should be.  The union should have made that a requirement.  I believe the 4GT
will be set up that way (or so the RTBU tells us).

> Or just do what they
> did with the Tangara, and all of our suburban rollingstock in Melbourne -
> put in beeps. Though, if passengers know that a train will be delayed by
> forcing doors open, then it might stop it from happening, either out of
> consideration, or out of some person in a blind rage going up to them and
> beating them on the head with a *newspaper*.

Is that all?  You Melbourne types *are* polite!

> Door interlocks are a very good idea, along with a door beeper that wont
> stop until the door is shut. The driver/guard will also get indication of
> this, and can act accordingly if it continues.

In theory, a good idea.  It would certainly make door maintenance improve.  One
of the most common door failures is a plastic coke bottle top jammed in the
runner.

> When in Sydney recently, I was appaled to see many trains go past me,
> during peak our, with someone holding a door open - this poses a great risk
> to the people's safety. Even if the train is delayed for 30 seconds, I
> think safety is more the important issue here.
>
> Back down in Melbourne, we went through the exact same process in 1993ish.
> Of course the main teething trouble was people holding the doors open, but
> these same people learnt in a small matter of time, that other travelling
> passengers don't really tolerate their train being held back. 12 months
> ago, there was a situation, not really involving the door interlock though,
> where a person forced a door open while a train was moving (he was outside
> the train and wanted to get on, and succeeded). The driver soon put a stop
> to that, stopped the train since it still had some platform space, released
> the doors and made the announcement "would the person who dangerously
> forced his way onto the train please get off the train now". The driver
> then went on to say "Passengers, I will not be moving this train until the
> person who forced his way into the front carriage gets off this train, i
> apologise for any inconvenience caused by this person". Only a matter of
> about 30 seconds until he was humiliated to get off.

Our trains are all being fitted, as part of the project, with Locking Door
Motors.  The doors cannot be forced open once they are closed.   With your
example, the driver should have lost traction power as soon as the door was
forced open.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au